Low hanging fruit.
A phrase I heard from Dan Langendorf, my emerging media instructor at UTD that will now have a comfortable home in my vocabulary. According to him lists are the low hanging fruit of the web. I would add that, personally, so are pictures and links (this is why I gorge myself on Wikipedia). So have some fruit:
This is a list of Reasons I LOVE being an Artist:
(In no particular order)
- ‘Because I felt like it’ is a valid reason.
- It is an area where anything I’m interested can, and will be used to make work.
- All of my abilities are an asset.
- Having a different perspective.
- I can be justifiably weird.
- Hearing, “Where do you come up with this?” and not taking as an insult.
- Making a piece that affects profoundly effects people.
- Getting strange looks when I explain what I do.
- Playing with stuff is part of my work.
- Having a completely crazy idea and having it understood.
Here are the things I HATE about being an Artist:
- Having to explain the difference between installation and decoration.
- Having to reinforce the idea that Art is not practical, but is necessary.
- Never having a piece completely done, just finished.
- Hearing, “So what kind of job can you get with that degree?” (Helicopter Pilot)
- Hearing, “Do you do weddings?” (Poorly)
- Crisis of purpose.
- Working for hours/days/weeks on a piece you are sure will work, only do be crushingly disappointed.
- Never being fully appreciated or understood (in the most melodramatic way).